Recently, Barbour Library has begun to increase the number of eBooks in its collection. Most eBooks are available through the library's catalog, CALVIN, but some eBooks can be found through a number of select databases. This guide will help you to find and read eBooks in Barbour Library's collection.
At this time, Barbour Library doesn't offer eBooks for checkout or download but for online reading purposes only. Some vendors allow portions of an eBook to be saved or printed but it varies by publisher.
To begin finding eBooks through the library's catalog, you will want to conduct an Advanced Keyword Search.
1. Go to the library's catalog and under "Guided Search and Advanced Search Options," select Advanced Keyword Search from the dropdown menu or click on the Advanced Search link.
This will take you to a new search screen.
2. Select EBOOK from the "Material Type" dropdown menu to limit your search results to show only eBooks.
3. Enter in your search term(s) in the top box or enter in an asterisk (*) to browse all eBooks in the library's catalog.
4. Click Submit to view your search results.
5. From the results list to view a book description, click on the title.
6. On the book's detail page, click on the View Electronic Resource (PTS users only) link to gain access to the eBook.
You can directly access the majority of the library's eBooks through the catalog including eBooks from the following vendors: EBSCO, Project MUSE, JSTOR, Brill, Liverpool, and Oxford. There are a few eBook collections that aren't available in the library's catalog, including Early English Books Online (EEBO).
At this time, the Barbour eBook collection is available for online reading only. Titles are not available for checkout or download, which enables us to provide greater accessibility to multiple users.
Anyone on campus can access the eBook collection. Off-campus accessibility is only provided to PTS students, faculty, and staff and requires the use of a remote access login. For more information on logging in from off campus to use any of the library's electronic resources, see Remote Access: Library Account & Databases.